Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Food, Inc. Part 2.

In this weeks reading assignments, i found many different point in the book that caught my attention. As I started to read I began to intake a lot of information that I had no clue about. One point was the fact that congress mandated the creation of a multi billion dollar network of distilleries that burns food to make motor fuel. At first i thought it was okay and didn't see the harm in it until I read further where he continued to say that there is a global shortage of food an no shortage in motor fuel. This made me wonder a little on why Congress choose to make motor oil out of food, corn to be specific, when we use corn for almost everything. It is our number one crop and Congress uses it to make motor fuel.

The next section that really caught my attention was the one entitled, "Why Bother?" During this whole book I have been asking myself this question. Why would I bother changing my life when I knew that i would not make much of a difference? The author makes a good point when he states that if he was to do everything right to help the environment, economy, and food, there is always that other person that is his evil twin. That kid on the other side of the country that just received his first car is not thinking of ways he could make his economy better. So I guess it continues to balance itself out.

Michael Pollan makes a statement on page 172 that I am having trouble agreeing with. He noted that in order for us to solve the problem we have to change ourselves and not wait for technology and law. I can argue that waiting for technology and law is the best way to make a drastic change being that technology and law changed us in the first place. Its been around for so long that we need technology in our everyday life and most of us don't worry about how our food and environment is effected. America is fast pace and I do not see America slowing down and take the time to take our environment and food into consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment